Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Blues Traveler Live in Rockin' Rockville

Saw Blues Traveler live (and free) with the Wife at the annual Hometown Holiday's festival in Rockville, MD on Sunday night. I hate to say it, but I'm afraid that I was a bit underwhelmed by the performance. I can't say that I've ever been much of a fan, but I've usually liked what I've heard, and always liked "The Hook".

There is no denying the brilliance of John Popper and the overall chops of the band. But as hard as they played (and it sounded like they were playing hard), there was no spark in the crowd, nothing to really grab you and get you up hopping. Maybe I was a bit tired from a long day (ugh, I'm getting OLD), maybe it was the indifference of most of my fellow suburbanites there, but it just didn't work for me. Oh well.

I'll give the City of Rockville one thing though, they can pull out some big names for this annual Memorial Day festival, including Kansas, Three Dog Night, Blood Sweat and Tears, The Gin Blossoms, , Hootie & The Blowfish, Live and even the Jefferson Starship, who I saw there in 2003. That was a pretty hot show, even sans Grace Slick. Marty Balin, Paul Kanter & Co. actually did just fine.

2 Comments:

At 6:52 AM, Blogger Helen said...

What a shame. I saw them last year here in VT and thought they were great. Maybe they just had an off-day. There are those times when the band and crowd just don't connect and the results are, as you say,underwhelming.
Rock really rocks though! They must be "connected" in some way!
Peace.........

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger wildflower seed said...

I saw them only once at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City, back in 1999, when Bobby Sheehan was still around. I got the same feeling as you. Maybe the Roseland was too small a venue for them, because the music was just too loud for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home