Friday, March 10, 2006

Jonathan's Desert Island Dead

Jonathan takes off for the Desert Island with five favorites...

1. DP 18 - Like Mark, this collection just blows my mind every time I hear it. The Samson alone is worth the price of admission, but to follow it with that ripping Scarlet > Fire is unworldly. To include what,for me, is the consummate "Eyes" is almost unbearable.
2. DP 35 - The House Boat Tapes. Despite the noveltythat surrounded this release when it came out, it's a great collection of music. 1971 Dead at their peak.
3. 10/26/89 - Miami, FL - This show came from outer space, I swear. Great performances during the whole thing, and the Dark Star here is Halloween-worthy.
4. 4/23/77 - Springfield, MA - One of my favorite '77 shows, with what is perhaps a Top 5 Scarlet > Fire for me.
5. 4/17/71 - Princeton, NJ - The Brooklyn Bridge rave-up, my favorite Pig moment of all time. And as was typical for '71, the rest of the set ain't bad either.

5 Comments:

At 11:57 PM, Blogger O' Tim said...

Ben - can you email me your addy? I've lost it since I sent you "10 questions" and would like to chime in with my Desert Island picks.

tjcfeldt@msn.com

Thanks! Tim

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Mark said...

That "Eyes" on DP18 is such a great "Sunday drive to Stinson Beach" song. Brings back a lot of memories everytime I hear it.

http://www.stinsonbeachonline.com/locate.html

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger an old friend said...

Hey Ben!

Just dropping by to say hello, I hope all is well with you. What have you been up to?

peace,
(the other) Ben

Hmm...Desert Island picks?...so many to pick from... ;)

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger John Kramer said...

I've been trying to find the date of the concert of the version of Al Franken's Terrapin Station. This might be old news, but I can't find an answer - it sounds really good!

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Ben said...

John - If you read some of my first blog posts, you will see that the Terrapin Station played on Franken's show was a major influence in my rediscovering The Dead. I have heard though that it is the studio version, not a live version. It always sounded live to me, but I have yet to hear what show that might of been from.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home