Jonathan's Desert Island Dead
Jonathan takes off for the Desert Island with five favorites...
1. DP 18 - Like Mark, this collection just blows my mind every time I hear it. The Samson alone is worth the price of admission, but to follow it with that ripping Scarlet > Fire is unworldly. To include what,for me, is the consummate "Eyes" is almost unbearable.
2. DP 35 - The House Boat Tapes. Despite the noveltythat surrounded this release when it came out, it's a great collection of music. 1971 Dead at their peak.
3. 10/26/89 - Miami, FL - This show came from outer space, I swear. Great performances during the whole thing, and the Dark Star here is Halloween-worthy.
4. 4/23/77 - Springfield, MA - One of my favorite '77 shows, with what is perhaps a Top 5 Scarlet > Fire for me.
5. 4/17/71 - Princeton, NJ - The Brooklyn Bridge rave-up, my favorite Pig moment of all time. And as was typical for '71, the rest of the set ain't bad either.