Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Stewart's Desert Island Dead

Here's five from Stewart:

(1) 03/01/69, Fillmore West -- Sublime early Dead throughout and featuring my desert island Dark Star.
(2) 11/11/73, Winterland -- My favorite show from my favorite year; best China Rider and a Dark Star > MLBJ> Eyes > China Doll for the ages.
(3) 08/13/75, One from the Vault -- Can't be stuck on a desert island without a Help/Slip/Frank, and this one, beginning with legendary Bill Graham's classic intro of the band, is an easy choice.
(4) 05/08/77, Cornell -- My first bootleg makes this a sentimental pick; also, rumor has it that the show itself isn't too shabby either.
(5) 06/30/85, Merriweather -- Summer of '85 is justifiably iconic; how could I survive on a desert island without this Shakedown to keep my bones boogying?

"My" (Stewart's) "only reservation with this list is the absence of a monumental early 70s Playin' (a la Veneta); not sure I could last without that."

5 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger Ben said...

5 excellent choices. Funny thing though, according to The Archive, the 3/1/69 show has been released, but I couldn't find it at gdstore.com. Also couldn't find 11/11/73 on The Archive. I have that one myself and along with the 2/9/73 show, was one of my favorites from that year.

 
At 11:04 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

Rock on with that Cornell show Bro!
Peace..............

 
At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Stewart said...

3/1/69 is on the Fillmore West boxset released a few months back, which must be why they pulled it from the Archive. That's disappointing because the box-set for the complete Fillmore West recordings is sold out and the 3 CD sampler that's still available only has a few songs from the 3/1/69 show on it.

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Stewart said...

I know 11/11/73 used to be on the Archive -- I think that's where I downloaded it! One can only hope that it has been pulled in preparation for an official release, which it is well worthy of.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Figured that '69 show might of been from the Fillmore boxset, they need to make some more, the 3-CD sampler isn't enough!

My hopes for the 11/11/73 show exactly. At any rate, I added a link to that show's description on The Set List Program site. Might just need to listen to that one again real soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home