Sunday, February 26, 2006

Joby's Desert Island Dead

Joby comes in with his top five Desert Island classics. Here's hoping for some more Retro Reviews!

9-20-70, Fillmore East, New York NY Best acoustic set ever, best Caution ever, Davids Nelson and Grisman guest star. Check my blog within the next day or two for a full review of this fantastic, historic show.

8-27-72, Veneta, Oregon Obviously a long time favorite and classic, and arguably the finest show of 1972. What can be said that hasn't already?

6-29-76, Auditorium Theater Chicago Illinois Hard to pick just one great show from this fabulous month in 1976, I chose this one for the highlights: Peggy O, Mission In the Rain, Might As Well, St. Stephen->NFA->St. Stephen. Wish they broke out the Cosmic Charlie this show, but that would have just been TOO perfect.

10-16-89 (Nightfall of Diamonds) Meadowlands Arean, East Rutherford NJ This was by far the hardest choice for me, to pick between this show or 10-9-89, the Warlocks show I had the good fortune to actually attend. I chose 10-16 for the fact that they played Attics and sang We Bid You Goodnight, but it's really a coin flip.

My last pick is a best-of-tour compilation CD I have from the 1992 Warfield Theater run with Jerry Garcia and the David Grisman Quintet. Here's the track list: The Thrill Is Gone, Rosalie McFall, The Fields Have Turned Brown, 16x16, Sitting In Limbo, Oh The Wind And Rain, Louis Collins, Bag's Groove, When I First Unto This Country, Long Black Veil, Shady Grove, Down Where The River Bends, She Belongs To Me. I know it's not Dead per se, but I had to have some Garcia/Grisman or I'd go mad on that island.

- Joby

2 Comments:

At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

Joby! I was at the Meadowlands in '89! We must have crossed paths at one point or another. Seems we had the same stomping grounds. Are you going to Vibes this summer?
August 17,18,19 and 20-Mariaville, NY!
Peace..................
Shout out Ben!

 
At 11:10 PM, Blogger Joby said...

It wouldn't surprise me if we did cross paths at some point, Helen, but it wouldn't have been at the Meadowlands...I made a point to avoid that venue because of all the stories I heard about security badness. A shame because I know I missed some killer shows there. Only shows I caught on Fall '89 were the two Hampton shows and all three Philly shows. I would have done Charlotte and Miami but I was trying to keep from flunking out of Penn State at the same time as seeing as many Dead shows as I could

Unfortunately Vibes is too close to the Philly Folk Fest this year, which has been an annual tradition for me and my friends for so many years now I lost count. I wouldn't miss folk fest for the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home