Friday, February 17, 2006

Desert Island Dead

Audience participation time again folks! You probably know how this works, you going to a desert island and you can only take a handful of records with you. What essential Grateful Dead recordings would you need to have to stay sane? Let's keep it to five, but give or take one if you need the flexibility. Feel free to include bootlegs (SBDs and/or AUDs), studio recordings, major label live releases, Dick's Picks, Download Series, etc. There's plenty to choose from, this could get interesting.

I'm going to go with favorites I downloaded from The Archive. My five include:
- 4/29/71 - Closing of The Fillmore East. An absolute classic, including all-time favorite versions of Midnight Hour, Hard to Handle, Alligator and Second That Emotion.
- 6/14/76 - Best show in the comeback year. Beacon Theater rocked that night and the quality of this recording is top-notch. Great stage banter too.
- 5/7/77 - The night before the infamous Cornell Show. The show overall is hot, but the Mississippi Half-Step alone makes this my favorite '77 show.
- 11/30/80 - Great SBD and AUD rolled into one! The contrast between the two sources makes this a fascinating recording, not to mention a scorching Sailor>Saint>Deal to close the 1st set, and my all-time favorite Ship of Fools in the 2nd.
- 10/9/89 - As I have mentioned before, I could of been at this Hampton classic, but chose to go the night before instead. Still kicking myself over that one. I'm actually just going to take the 2nd set of this one, and the AUD source at that. IMHO, the best 2nd set ever. I've listened to it probably 100 times, and it never gets old.

So what would you have to have on that Desert Island? Please share by e-mailing me your list.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

Good one Ben! I will have to do some serious thinking on this one!
Peace...............

 
At 11:39 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Closing of Winterland

Europe '72

DP Twenty (which has become a favorite)

DP Eighteen

Every other recording of the Dead's compiled on one huge CD!

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Ha! Clearly I can't follow instructions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home