Sunday, January 15, 2006

Ten Questions for...Mark

Here's Mark:

1. 1st Dead Experience - Listening to "American Beauty" album that my oldersister (not a Deadhead) bought in 1972. I subsequently "stole" it and I still have that same copy.
2. 1st Dead Show - Day On The Green in October 1977 - The Dead opening forThe Who. Can't remember if it was Saturday or Sunday, though.
3. Last Dead Show - 1982 - Vietnam veteran's memorial show at MosconeCenter.
4. How many shows did you go too? 5 or 6
5. Favorite year or time period - Mid to late 70's
6. Favorite band member (if it's Jerry, 2nd favorite?) Bill Kreutzmann andMickey Hart - Loved the drums!
7. Other favorite bands - Cowboy Junkies, all sorts of blues artists, HotTuna, Janis and Big brother.....
8. Favorite movie - Don't really have one.
9. I'm currently reading (or I recently read) - Jarhead
10. When I'm not online or listening to The Grateful Dead - Working on remodeling our house in Sonoma County, reading, taking day trips around theBay Area, hanging out with friends.

5 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Blogger Joby said...

Why'd you get off the bus so early? Just curious.

 
At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

Yes, of course, Hot Tuna! It is such a hard questions, that favorite bands one. For the record, Jorma is right up there on my list although I didn't send it in with my list. Jorma turned 65 last month. I only got to see him perform twice last year but he just keeps getting better.
Peace..............

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Joby - Why'd you get off the bus so early? LOL

I get asked that a lot. After Keith and Donna left the band, and Shakedown Street came out, I felt the band was getting way too commercial. I also started liking the nusic that was coming out less and less. I have a renewed appreciation now, however, for a lot of that period's music. I nebver really stopped liking the Dead, and while doing some work for Phil and Jill just before Jerry died I turned down a possibility of seeing them in New York, where I was going to be at the same time as the band. I still kick myself but truth is, I really would have had no time. It was a short trip and I had a lot of family and friends to visit.

So I really don't feel like I ever did get off the bus. I just sort of sat in the back and kept to myself for awhile!

I didn't want to see them without Jerry, either, but I just went to see Ratdog and now I can't wait to see them together. I hope that is still in the offing.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Oh, and thanks, Ben! And Helen, I have yet to see Hot Tuna live, but I am making that a goal for 2006.

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous westchesterdead said...

Wow, Mark.

You're not alone in taking a step back after Shakedown Street - I have heard many complain that the Dead went Disco with that album, but I think that the disco moment came with the revised arrangement of Dancin' In The Streets that they started playing in 1976 - it's my least favorite song that the Dead do.

I took a long break from the Dead from the years 1985 until the late 90's. I went to a few shows, but I was more likely to catch Morphine or Chris Elliot at the Trocadero in Philadelphia during that period. Lately, in the last five years, I have been to more performances of the Philadelphia Orchestra than all of my rock shows combined – this is due to being dragged there by my significant other – she sings in the chorus with the orchestra. She’s said that it’s a wonder that I have any teeth left in my head with all the one’s she’s pulled trying to get me to go. I’ve found that I like the more contemporary composers because their music resembles the space jams that the Dead do.

I think sitting quietly in the back of the bus is a wise course of action. I’ve learned a thing or two back there. The Dead is as much a philosophy to me as it is music, if that makes any sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home