Wednesday, January 18, 2006

10 Questions for...Xian

Christian (aka Xian) joins the fun...

1. 1st Dead Experience - hearing Friend of the Devil and Uncle John's Band on FM radio around age six.
2. 1st Dead Show - June 24, 1984. Saratoga Performing Arts Center(SPAC), Saratoga Springs, NY
3. Last Dead Show - June 4, 1995. Shoreline Amphitheatre, Mountain View, CA
4. How many shows did you go too? 109 (approximately)
5. Favorite year or time period - 1973
6. Favorite band member (if it's Jerry, 2nd favorite?) Pigpen
7. Other favorite bands - Minutemen, Television, Meat Puppets, Pixies
8. Favorite movie - The Sting
9. I'm currently reading (or I recently read)... Koba the Dread(memoir about Stalin by Martin Amis)
10. When I'm not online or listening to The Grateful Dead... I like to play my ukuleles, watch TV, dance, talk politics, write stories, and hang out with my girlfriend Briggs.

BTW, I love what he's doing with his blog, I didn't realize that Uncle John's Blog was actually a Wiki. Very cool.

4 Comments:

At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

Dude! Bring those Uke's to Vibes, hey! And of course, bring Brigg's too!
Ben, what's a Wiki?
(is it anything like a henway? ha!)
More Peace..................

 
At 7:32 AM, Anonymous westchesterdead said...

Xian,

Television rules, simply put. Tom Verlane is a very underrated guitar player - it's a shame that there is so little of their music available for consumption. The meat puppets write some great songs that I love to cover from time to time. It's nice to see someone love the Pixies and the Dead at the same time. Francis Black is the king of the 2 minute song, with Debaser being one of my favorite tunes.

 
At 8:22 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Helen - A Wiki is essentially a collaborative blog. Here's the Wiki definition on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki)

I love Marquee Moon, a very trippy album. I could never understand why they were considered 'punk'. They sounded more like a jam band to me (especially the title track).

Speaking of extended jams, when I saw The Pixies live in late '04, the did about a 15 minute version of Vamos, during which Joey Santiago took everyone on a blazing journey of feedback and noise that was just incredible. Frank Black is truly one of the most underrated and underappreciated musicians of the last 20 years, IMHO.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

" Helen - A Wiki is essentially a collaborative blog."
Thanks for the explanation. I think I actually am a proud Wiki owner. And this is not a plug for this blog. Just an FYI! (3 blogs? is the girl insane? doesn't she have a life?)

Peace...............

http://sistasnadude.blogspot.com
(me, my sista and my dude! ha!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home