Saturday, January 21, 2006

10 Questions for...Jim

Jim and his ten:

1. 1st Dead Experience – Reading BAM magazine review of their Orpheum Theater shows in 1976. Had never heard the music, but the review described concert starting with Gregorian chants and I just thought, “Whoa, that’s wild.”
2. 1st Dead Show – Oct. 10, 1976 Oakland Coliseum The Dead and the Who. What else is there to say? Two of the greatest bands in the world providing an entire day’s worth of glorious music. I went there to see the Who, but was definitely impressed by the Dead. I was 14 at the time. No idea how I talked my parents into allowing me to go.
3. Last Dead Show – Oct 10, 1982 Frost Amphitheater, Palo Alto, CA
4. How many shows did you go too? 35-40 plus numerous JGB shows at the Keystone in Berkeley and S.F.
5. Favorite year or time period - 1969. About as heavy as it gets. Absolutely mind-blowing stuff that knocks the stuffing out of whatever hard-rock outfit you want to name. Pigpen’s stuff was scorching, too.
6. Favorite band member (if it’s Jerry, 2nd favorite?) Bobby. He seemed to always “have it together” on stage, with clear strong vocals, a good stage presence, and good guitar. I also think Jerry’s guitar work is particularly impressive on Bobby’s songs.
7. Other favorite bands – Jefferson Airplane, Dreams Come True (Japanese), Springsteen, REM, the Who, Jimi Hendrix
8. Favorite movie – The Grateful Dead movie.(Does that count?) Watch part of it nearly every morning as I’m stretching. Puts me in a great mood and reminds me what a wild scene Grateful Dead shows were.
9. I'm currently reading (or I recently read)... Creature from Jekyll Island – A second look at the Federal Reserve. As Willie Nelson states on the jacket, “Scary. It’s the story of the world banking system. Enough said.”
10. When I'm not online or listening to The Grateful Dead... Watching cartoons (with kids) or concert DVDs.

6 Comments:

At 2:10 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Jim - I went to that weekend at OC as well, but I don't remeber which day. I recently got the CD of both days - It's awesome!

Unlike my friends who went to see the Who, I most definitely went to see the Dead.

Interesting that your first and last shows were on October 10!

 
At 8:16 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

I saw the Dead in Vegas and Dave Matthews Band opened for them. The guys behind me where from California and there to see DMB. Not into The Dead at all. I got turned on to DMB and have been listening ever since. I often wonder if they listen to The Dead!
Peace............

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger BubbleViewer said...

Mark,
I didn't notice the October 10 thing until later. I'm sure the OC show was first, Frost was the latest ticket I could find. Sorry there weren't more after that. I just got into other music moved to Japan, but now, 25 years later, the music sounds unbelievable, and I can't believe the wealth of it, and all the different styles in the different years. When I was into the dead, we basically had the albums, that was it. Live Dead and Europe 72 were the only snapshots of those earlier styles. We just knew we loved the music they were making at that particular point in time. The dead have passed the test of time.
I also feel that the hippies really had something great going for a while.
Helen,
I have a friend who is into DMB and I've suggested he try listening to the Dead, haven't heard back yet, but there seems to be a lot in common.
Sidenote: At the 1976 Who/Dead show, the guy immediately to my left on the lawn (didn't know him) slept through the Dead's entire performance. As it gained steam, I thought, man, are you sure you want to be sleeping through this? As the dead's final notes hung in the air, the guy suddenly woke up and sat up straight.

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Joby said...

Helen: I was at those shows. I remember Dave Matthews was very complementary of the Dead and said more than once how honored he was to be playing for a crowd full of Deadheads. These were some of the last really good shows of 1995, in my opinion.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Ben said...

I was waiting for someone to list "The Grateful Dead" movie. Sure it counts, especially if you watch it nearly every day! There are so many great things about that movie, the music of course, the Deadhead interviews in the concourse (like the arguement with the guy who is pissed off that they are even making a movie), to the interviews with the band members (I particularly like the interview with Bill where he describes his drumming style as being just like dancing).

 
At 10:31 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Hey Joby? Were you by any chance wearing jeans and a tie-dye T-shirt? I think I saw you there! (sorry, I can never really get enough of that one) And yes, DMB was most gracious. They follow the Deads lead in many ways still. Allow taping, love to introduce new music to their audience. A really great live show and a bunch of very talented musicians.
More Peace...............

 

Post a Comment

<< Home