10 Questions For...Jim
Jim (aka Westchesterdead) with his Ten...
1. 1st Dead Experience – I was working on an 8th grade science project of a model of the lunar eclipse (painting styrofoam balls and boxes, etc.) and I borrowed an eight track tape from my older brother.
2. 1st Dead Show – May 9, 1981, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, NY. It was Easter Sunday and I was sixteen at the time.
3. Last Dead Show – Not sure, maybe a Giants Stadium show in June of 1991. Sadly, I didn’t keep track of that tidbit.
4. How many shows did you go too? I’m not sure….under 15, I think.
5. Favorite year or time period – Early 70’s and I recently fell in love with the year 1976.
6. Favorite band member (if it’s Jerry, 2nd favorite?) Phil, even more than Jerry.
7. Other favorite bands – I just completed downloading all of my non dead CD’s to my 60 gig video Ipod – I spent a lot of time listening to Morphine, The Clash, Nirvana, Cake, Beck, and then old stuff like James Brown and Duke Ellington. I have another 40 gig Ipod for all of my Dead collection.
8. Favorite movie – Too many to name, but ‘Cool Hand Luke’ is near the top of the list – It’s a great movie, escpecially when Paul Newman eats the fifty hard boiled eggs, with the help of George Kennedy.
9. I'm currently reading (or I recently read)... A series of horrific non-fiction books centering around tragedies at sea, with the last one being The Ice Master by Jennifer Niven - a story about the doomed voyage of the Karluck in 1913. It's time to get out of the water.
10. When I'm not online or listening to The Grateful Dead... I manage the saltwater reef tank at our office and hike in the woods searching for geocaches with my girlfriend, who got me into this sordid hobby after I bought her a handheld GPS unit. This past Sunday, I popped my ankle out of joint on the trail and went tumbling down a hill head over heels. It's usually a bit more fun than that.