Monday, January 16, 2006

10 Questions For...Jim

Jim (aka Westchesterdead) with his Ten...

1. 1st Dead Experience – I was working on an 8th grade science project of a model of the lunar eclipse (painting styrofoam balls and boxes, etc.) and I borrowed an eight track tape from my older brother.
2. 1st Dead Show – May 9, 1981, Nassau Coliseum, Long Island, NY. It was Easter Sunday and I was sixteen at the time.
3. Last Dead Show – Not sure, maybe a Giants Stadium show in June of 1991. Sadly, I didn’t keep track of that tidbit.
4. How many shows did you go too? I’m not sure….under 15, I think.
5. Favorite year or time period – Early 70’s and I recently fell in love with the year 1976.
6. Favorite band member (if it’s Jerry, 2nd favorite?) Phil, even more than Jerry.
7. Other favorite bands – I just completed downloading all of my non dead CD’s to my 60 gig video Ipod – I spent a lot of time listening to Morphine, The Clash, Nirvana, Cake, Beck, and then old stuff like James Brown and Duke Ellington. I have another 40 gig Ipod for all of my Dead collection.
8. Favorite movie – Too many to name, but ‘Cool Hand Luke’ is near the top of the list – It’s a great movie, escpecially when Paul Newman eats the fifty hard boiled eggs, with the help of George Kennedy.
9. I'm currently reading (or I recently read)... A series of horrific non-fiction books centering around tragedies at sea, with the last one being The Ice Master by Jennifer Niven - a story about the doomed voyage of the Karluck in 1913. It's time to get out of the water.
10. When I'm not online or listening to The Grateful Dead... I manage the saltwater reef tank at our office and hike in the woods searching for geocaches with my girlfriend, who got me into this sordid hobby after I bought her a handheld GPS unit. This past Sunday, I popped my ankle out of joint on the trail and went tumbling down a hill head over heels. It's usually a bit more fun than that.

8 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

Hey Jim!
Ha! My boyfriend (sounds so silly when you reach full blown adulthood!) has a GPS and yes, we cache frequently when the weather here in VT cooperates. I'm normally the clutzy one!
Peace.............
Ben, I know it's been said but again, great idea to do this for us :)

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Where's Jonathan's entry?? And what about Xian? David Gans? Justin?

 
At 5:12 PM, Anonymous jonathan said...

Mark- my entry would be too embarrassingly short to be of any note. So I'm just enjoying reading others' stuff.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Jim - 1976, another underrated year. The June 14th Beacon Theater show is one of my all-time favorites.

Jonathan - Come on, I find that hard to believe! Your blog is the inspiration for many other Dead-blogs. Plus, we've seen so far a range of responses from people who never saw The Grateful Dead live to those who saw them hundreds of times. Give it a shot.

 
At 11:27 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Yeah, what Ben said!!!!
(Holding up my lighter for the encore)

Jon-a-than!

Jon-a-than!

Jon-a-than!

Jon-a-than!

Jon-a-than!

 
At 7:23 AM, Anonymous westchesterdead@yahoo.com said...

Ditto on Ben and Mark's comments regarding Jonathan - Not to be a nudge but, it was your blog that served as the portal for all the other GD blogs that I have since seen over the last few months - moochoos grassyass for that, Jonathan.

Regarding the 6-14-76 Beacon show, I was pimping that show to anyone who would listen - deadheads and non deadheads alike. I sent more copies of that show out to people than I can count.

Speaking of which, now that I'm loading all of these shows into my ipod, I have all sorts of CDR's to give away. Is anyone interested?

 
At 9:10 AM, Blogger Mark said...

When I started my blog, I did a Google search for Deadhead blogs and Dead on Friday was the only one that came up. I followed Jonathan (I think) first at Auterrific, later with my own and the rest have slowly trickled in. And the community is growing.

I keep meaning to get off my but and create a blogroll section simply for dead blogs.

BTW - SLC Library Boy hasn't responded either!!

 
At 9:43 AM, Anonymous jonathan said...

Thanks for the nice words, guys. The truth is I only saw the GD once, and not until the very end. What I saw, even though it was a shell of their former great selves, was enough to get me hooked for good. Unfortunately, Jerry was gone a month later.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home