Sunday, January 15, 2006

10 Questions For...AJ

AJ with his ten...

1. 1st Dead Experience - I think I heard Tennesse Jed from Europe 72 when I was in middle school, then I got Skeletons shortly after
2. 1st Dead Show - sadly, i was only 15 when jerry died, and didn't get to see any shows.
3. Last Dead Show - see #2
4. How many shows did you go too? 0 :-( I've seen various band members in various forms live maybe 10 times
5. Favorite year or time period - 1974, except when I like 77 better
6. Favorite band member - after Jerry...Bobby, cause he's under-rated
7. Other favorite bands - tons, but definately Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, and Phish
8. Favorite movie - tough one...Spinal Tap was pretty darn good
9. I'm currently reading (or I recently read) - The Clash of Fundamentalisms, by Tariq Ali
10. When I'm not online or listening to The Grateful Dead - grad school, studying International Peace and Conflict Resolution

8 Comments:

At 11:48 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Ben - Thanks for putting this together. This was a brilliant idea for us to get to know each other!!

Who's up for a Dead Blogger's convention someday?

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Mark - Convention huh? It would have to be online of course ;-)

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Mark said...

It would have to be online of course ;-)

Why???

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Mark - Joking of course. An 'online' blogging convention would be appropriate, don't you think?

AJ - Agreed on Bobby being underrated, in my view as a singer, songwriter, etc. His guitar style was a unique and critical piece of the bands overall sound. For example, what would China Cat Sunflower be without Bobby's guitar?

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Ben. Oh, Uh, nothing gets by me!;o)>

 
At 8:29 AM, Anonymous westchesterdead said...

I like the idea of a convention, or at least a gathering of sorts. Perhaps we can have a summer retreat at a camp ground where we can sit around the fire and stare at the color of each other's eyes.

Speaking of eye color, I should segue into Bob Weir's guitar playing. I am in full agreement with you - I have tried to imitate Bob's guitar style for twenty five years with little success - it's brilliant on many different levels. I had read somewhere that he shaped his sound from listening to John Coltrane. Some of my friends think that his style of playing sounds awful and that he doesn't know what he's doing. I think its brilliant stuff.

It's far easier for me to recreate Jerry's melodies and hooks on the guitar than it is to recreate Bob's. Phil still rules the roost, though. I try to recreate his bass lines and wind up looking stupid every time.

My vote for the site of the first annual ‘Color Of The Eyes’ convention is Long Lake in upstate NY in late July, 2006. The only problem would be the west coast folks. Anyone who wants to fly into Phili has a place to stay and a ride to and from the airport from me. :)

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

First annual "Color of the Eyes" convention. You might have something there! It's brilliant!
Peace..................

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Ha! The glue that holds us together....You are indeed prophetic, Helen.

If we have one back east in late July, I would most probably miss it. It is likely I will be back east in early July.

But I think Westchester's time slot, if it works for the rest, is fine. We can have a West Coast convention in SF in 2007 and make you diehard East Coast Deadheads come see where it all started (if you haven't already, that is)!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home