Saturday, December 31, 2005

Have a Grateful New Year!

As we bring 2005 to a close, I look back on the year that was: Watching with my wife my two boys get bigger, smarter and more wonderful every day. A job I continue to like with a company I'm proud to work for. A nice vacation in the Outer Banks. Baseball back in DC. The Wizards making the playoffs, and the Redskins finishing the year strong. Starting this blog! I've been at it for about 6 months now, hard to believe. And what a year to start this up too, with the 10 year anniversary of Jerry's passing to the Live Music Archive fiasco. I also have to feel good that a nice little Grateful Dead blogging community has popped up this year. Yes, community can exist in Cyber Space.

Reflecting further back, nobody did New Year's Eve quite like the Grateful Dead. Whether it was Bill Graham's surprise grand countdowns, the vast array of guest musicians sitting in during the shows, or the live FM broadcasts, a Dead New Year's show was always something unique and special.

So ring in the New Year with a great NYE show. Here's a few of my favorites:
12/31/69 - Boston Tea Party - Boston, MA. A rare NYE show outside of the Bay area.
12/31/71 - Winterland - SF, CA - Fun FM broadcast. A brief play-by-play of the New Year's Countdown kicks off a spectacular show.
12/31/87 - Oakland-Almeda County Coliseum - Oakland, CA. Classic PPV show that I still have on videotape (maybe I need to replace that with the DVD someday...) Very underrated show IMO including a fun encore with the Neville Brothers.
12/31/90 - Oakland-Almeda County Coliseum - Oakland, CA. Sweet show with Branford sitting in.

New Year's resolutions? I don't really believe in them because I never keep them. But if I were to try to make and keep any of them, it would be to start eating better and exercising more of course, and to keep this blog going strong. So happy new year all, see you again in '06!

4 Comments:

At 12:16 PM, Anonymous US Blues said...

Happy New Year, Ben, and everyone else. May the New Year bring us better than the last in the ways that truly matter.

PS- 12.31.72, musically the BEST NYE show, with special guest David Crosby (Jam>Morning Dew).

 
At 12:45 PM, Blogger Ben said...

US Blues - I was going to list that show too, but for some reason it's not available on The Archive right now. Too bad.

 
At 2:23 PM, Blogger Kid Ric said...

Happy New Year to you and your family my friend.

"Chat after the New Year" will take place on Sunday January 8th 2006 at 2pm Mountain time at BallerinaGurl's. Will be inviting special guests so you never know who will show up and make our time more enjoyable.

Peace, love and light.

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello All, I'm hoping that someone out there might have the audio for the opening band for the NYE '71 show. the Sons of Champlin, then going by the name Yogi Phlegm, was the first portion of this KSAN-broadcast concert. Would be most appreciative if someone could direct me towards this...thanks. I'll check back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home