Friday, October 21, 2005

Happy Birthday Brent!


Boy, the band member's birthday's seem to come in bunches, don't they. Tonight, we wish a happy birthday to the late Brent Mydland, who would of been 53 today. I never realized til now just how much younger than the rest of the band he was.

Born in Munich, Germany, Brent moved to San Fran a year later. When he joined The Grateful Dead in 1979, he brought a new and very unique sound to the band, not only with his diverse keyboard skills, but also with his gruff vocal style. I'll admit that I was never a fan of Brent's original songs, but I always thought highly of him as a backup vocalist and keyboardist. I think a couple of my favorite performances of his were in the second half of the second sets of the 10/8/89 and 10/9/89 Warlocks shows. Already two of may favorite all-time sets, Brent truly shines on Gimme Some Lovin' on the 8th, and the Death Don't Have No Mercy (which I'm listening too right now, the goosebumps!) and Dear Mr. Fantasy on the 9th.

Brent left us way too early in 1990. Some loved him, some didn't. I don't think many can deny though his contribution to the band. RIP Brent, you are missed on this Earth.

4 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous jonathan said...

Amen. I loved Brent. I even loved his original stuff (Except for "I Will Take You Home"). Those Warlocks shows definitely have some great Brent moments, as does that Fall tour in general. The Miami shows are wonderful.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger Ben said...

I'm checking out the 10/26/89 Miami show right now!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger Justin Kreutzmann said...

I do miss that guy. I could tell ya some Brent stories but there might be children reading! No, seriously he had a big heart.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Ben said...

Justin - LOL. I'd love to hear those stories some day. You could probably write a book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home