Monday, October 17, 2005

DC Dead: Invasion of the Dead

Holy guacamole! The three biggest Dead-related acts will be converging on the DC/MD/VA area coming up in November and December! Two shows on the same night even!!!
  • Ratdog: Wednesday, November 2 at Rams Head Live in Baltimore,MD. Tuesday, November 8 at Weinberg Center for the Arts in Frederick, MD.
  • Phil Lesh and Friends: Friday, December 2 at The Patriot Center in Fairfax, VA.
  • Dark Star Orchestra: Tuesday, November 29 at Recher Theater in Towson, MD. Friday, December 2 at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC. Saturday, December 3 at the 9:30 Club in Washington, DC (Rex Foundation Benefit, Black Tye-Dye Ball)

OK, first of all, someone wasn't scheduling smart here. Phil competing with DSO in the same geographic area (20 miles apart) on the same night. Bad idea. I already know that I won't make it to the Baltimore Ratdog show as I'll be on the West Coast that day. But Frederick I could possibly do. Phil on Friday and DSO on Saturday?

I'm really torn about this though. On one hand, what an opportunity to see all three bands within a month of each other right while in the middle of my Dead-frenzy! Think of the blogging possibilities! On the other hand though, I'm kind of hesitant. All I have of The Grateful Dead (other than the music of course), is my memories of seeing them live. Could that be tainted if I was disappointed in seeing any or all of those three bands today? I know it won't be the same, but could it be good enough, close enough? I've heard a bit of each band and like what I've heard so far. In fact, I heard some live Ratdog last night doing Playin', and was pretty impressed.

What to do? What would you do if you were a lone Deadhead tied up in a straight and narrow world, too concerned about the remote possibility of being disappointed? Ugh, sad and pathetic, huh? A nice problem to have though :)

4 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger Helen said...

They are each worth seeing. And of course there is a possibility, especially if you went to all three, that you would catch one of them on an off night. I've caught the Dead on one or two (ha!) but still not gone away empty because they were more than music.
You will be more disappointed if you let the opportunity pass you by. Untie yourself and enjoy! :)
Peace............
(don't be surprised if during the shows, a sweet buried memory comes rushing by - bittersweet at times)

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger wildflower seed said...

Hi there
Over here from Dead on Friday. Been looking for blogs like yours for a while. Glad I found it. I too write about the Dead, but not exclusively. Will be back.
Deep

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Helen - Thanks for the advice. I do need to untie and unwind.

Ventilator - Welcome!

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Mark said...

Ben - I have the same problem. I have steadfastly refused to see any incarnation of the Dead since Jerry died. But a good friend has convinced me that the next time they're playing in an area we can both get to (they live in the Mojave, we in Sonoma, so we are separated by hundreds of miles) we are going. Narrow minds, narrow views. Sometimes you just have to break inertia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home