Thursday, September 22, 2005

One Week in May '77: Part 1 - Intro

Tonight starts a series of posts that will analyze one week in the history of The Grateful Dead. A week highlighted by their most legendary show, with the two shows leading up, and the two shows that followed. May 1977 is considered by most Deadheads to the pinnacle of their greatness. Not only were their performances the best during this month, but the quality of the recordings of those shows are generally unmatched in their consistency throughout that month.

It's the shows starting in New Haven, CT on May 5 through the show in St. Paul, MN on May 11 that I will focus on. The recording quality of these shows are top-notch, and each of those 5 shows featured some of their best performances. This series will look into interesting things that happened around those shows, and the highlights of the shows themselves. Hopefully we'll discover what made that week so great. The Cornell show on the 8th is considered by many to be their best performance ever. Many would argue that too. As I go through this analysis, I'm still not sure if that show was even the best show that week, let alone the best of their 30 years together.

As always, I invite your comments. I plan on putting a good deal of research behind this, but if you have anything to add, please feel free. That said, I'm going to go off now and start working on my next post in this series, the 5/5/77 show at Veterans Memorial Coliseum in New Haven, CT.

3 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Anonymous jonathan said...

Cool, great idea for a blog-series, and I can't wait to see what you come up with. Looking at that week, I think the 5/11 St Paul show is the only one I'm not familiar with. Guess I'll go give it a listen. (fwiw, 5/9 in Buffalo is my favorite from this part of May 77)

 
At 9:52 PM, Blogger B said...

I love the 5/11 show, as well as the boston show too. I cant wait to see your analysis.

as we speak im jamming to 6-26-94....mmmm hot jams ;)

bye man

-ben

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Ben said...

There's something about that month, that week specifically that was special. Hopefuly I can provide some insight into what made that particular time so great. My 5/5/77 post should be ready this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home