Thursday, September 01, 2005

Ben The Deadhead: Don't Judge A Book...

If you saw me walking down the street today, you would never guess that I'm a Deadhead. Even 15 years ago, unless I was wearing one of my Dead shirts or a tie-dye, you still probably wouldn't of ever guessed. I'm a pretty average looking guy. My hair has always been relatively short, I'm usually clean-shaved, I've got a respectable job with a respectable (and fairly conservative) company. I saw only 20 Dead shows, 3 JGB shows, and had about 75 shows on tape. I had a number of friends who saw many more shows and had many more tapes than I did.

But that's just me. I didn't grow out my hair because I thought I would look ridiculous with a big, bushy hairdo. I didn't travel with The Dead, mostly because I've always been highly responsible, almost too responsible I guess. But there has always been a bit of a rebellious streak in me, and it's mostly been represented by my musical tastes. I love music that is creative, innovative, smart and fun. Music that you can really lose yourself in. Dead show scenes also appealed to me because of the true sense of freedom that you had when you were there. The sights, the sounds, the smells, all appealed to that rebellious side.

Deadheads are everywhere though, doctors, lawyers, Senators, NBA hall-of-famers, even conservative, uptight talking heads (i.e. Tucker Carlson). We come in all shapes, sizes and colors. Looking at some of us though, you would never know. It's the music and memories in our heads that makes us Deadheads, and keep us in love with this great band.

2 Comments:

At 8:25 AM, Blogger B said...

I am a professional record producer, film composer, and bartender.
I went to Juilliard and Berklee.

am I a deadhead?

bet your ass i am :)

have a good day man

wicked good weather out there....
peace

the music never stopped....

-Ben

 
At 11:41 PM, Anonymous Helen said...

Amen Brother!
Peace...............

 

Post a Comment

<< Home