Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Build A Set List - The Late 80s

And now, for the interactive portion of this blog...

Thought it would be fun, and possibly a bit interactive to see what your ultimate Set List, or Mix Tape would look like. Here's the deal. I'm going to pick a period in time (in this case, the late 80's, 1986-89), and create what would the best possible set list that they could of played at that time. There are some rules, such as you need to pick songs that were actually played during those years, the show format needs to be similar (in this particular case, 1st Set>2nd Set w/Drums>Space>Encore) and the placement of songs should be similar as well as far as what set they would be in, what songs would lead off and end sets, etc.. You need to figure in what would of been an average length of a show too (in this case a 60-75 minute first set, a 70-90 minute 2nd set, 1 encore song). And of course, toggling songs between Jerry & Bobby, with the occaisional Phil, Brent, Pigpen, etc. song.

I hope I've explained this well enough, probably not, but once you take a look at my list, you'll get the idea.

Late 80's ('86-'89) Ultimate Set List
Set 1
Hell In A Bucket
Bertha
Jack Straw
Ramble On Rose
Masterpiece
Bird Song
Music Never Stopped
Don't Ease Me In

Set 2
Playing In The Band
Uncle John's Band
Terrapin Station
Drums>Space
I Need A Miracle
Wharf Rat
Sugar Magnolia
Not Fade Away

Encore
Box of Rain


So, there it is. Try not to spend too much time thinking about it. Make the list from what comes to your mind first. They may of actually played this show, but I don't know myself, I just made it up, and that was the fun of it. Give it a try as a comment. I'd like to see what you come with...

4 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Anonymous jonathan said...

OK, here's mine.

Set 1
Let the Good Times Roll, GSET, Tennessee Jed, Queen Jane, Blow Away, Row Jimmy, Let it Grow > It's All Over Now, Deal
Set 2
Shakedown Street > Playin in the Band > The Other One > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Playin in the Band, Stella Blue, Throwin' Stones
E: One More Saturday Night > AWBYGN

I think I probably cheated a little bit with the encore. This is just one of many possibilities that came to mind, since I left out many of my favorite songs! :-)

 
At 5:57 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Good one. Kind of a mellow 1st set, Let it Grow>Its All Over Now interesting, good finish with Deal. Great start to 2nd set, Other One>Mr Fantasy before D/S? Did they ever do either before D/S? If not, interesting nonetheless. No cheat on the encore, I think they did add on AWBYGN after the 1st encore song on a couple of occasions.

Great job, just what I was hoping for!

 
At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Helen said...

I love this one! Bucket is a much better opener. And to answer Ben, it looks like Other One went into D/S a few times in the late 70's but didn't see any Fanatasy at all.
Peace...............

 
At 2:40 PM, Anonymous Angelo Settles said...

I''m familiar with this subject too

 

Post a Comment

<< Home