Saturday, June 18, 2005

Midlife Crisis at 34?

Last night, my wife asked me if my renewed Grateful Dead obsession was a yearning for a simpler, more fun past. Maybe. I'll admit, I do 'obsess' about certain bands for extended periods of time, where I'll listen to that band and that band only. In my mind, all other music sucks, and the band of the moment is the only band that's worth anything in this world.

Over the years, bands in that category (other than The Dead) have included Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Little Feat, U2, REM, Radiohead, Pavement, The Pixies and maybe a couple others. What typically happens is that I get in a certain mood, or hear a specific album or song, and then the obsession begins. I'll start by buying up every album I can get my hands on, then I'll see them live, maybe more than once. But typically, these obsessions last for a year or less.

My initial obsession with The Dead was different though. For 4+ years, I was a Deadhead, maybe not as devoted as some, but a Deadhead nonetheless. Today, maybe it is a hearkening back to yesteryear, before a career, before a family and kids, but for me, music is timeless. Great music is great music, regardless of when it was created.

One thing I know for sure, I'll ride this obsession out for however long it takes. The Dead have always held a deep place in my heart, even for those many years that I didn't listen to them at all. They are a part of me, and always will be.

3 Comments:

At 9:58 PM, Blogger Mark said...

try the Cowboy Junkies. And I'm adding you to my link list.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Ben said...

Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't heard much of their stuff before, most of what I've heard has been very mellow. If you had any suggestions of anything I should try out, that would be appreciated.

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Mark said...

They are mellow. Let me come up with some CD titles. Their live stuff is really good. Not that their studio stuff isn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home