Thursday, June 02, 2005

May The Dead Live Forever

Last fall, for a number of reasons, I rediscovered The Grateful Dead. I was a Deadhead in college (1989-1994), and in that time, saw about 20 Dead shows, 3 Jerry Garcia Band shows, and accumulated 75+ bootlegs. I wasn't as diehard of a Deadhead as some of my friends, but a Deadhead nonetheless. My musical tastes changed after I graduated from college, and pretty much stopped listening to The Dead alltogether. But even though I wasn't listening to them, they still always held a special place in my heart.

Then last fall, it all came back to me. It was as if the stars aligned once again to bring this great band back into my life. Those influencing factors included:
  • Listening to The Al Franken Show on Air America. Franken's show started off with Terrapin Station, one of my favorite Dead songs.
  • The Grateful Dead Movie and The Closing of Winterland were on PBS.
  • A Deadhead friend I hadn't seen in 12 years got in touch with me again.
  • I discovered Archive.org.

It was the last factor that really brought The Dead 'Alive' for me once again. If you haven't been there, almost every show they ever did is there, available for streaming and download. As I am typing this, I'm listening to a great quality Pre-FM recording of a show at the Capitol Theater in New Jersey on 11/24/78. I've downloaded 14 shows to date and have streamed countless others.

I'm a Born Again Deadhead, and there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile!

1 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ben- welcome back to the fold. :-)
-Jonathan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home