Friday, June 03, 2005

Favorite 1977 Show?

1977 was a great year for Dead Shows. They may of never had a tighter sound than that year. And for whatever reason, the quality of the bootlegs you can get from that year on average is unrivaled. Many people, myself included, that their best show may of been the 5/8/77 show at Cornell University. That's almost a given for most people's favorite.

So, what's your 2nd favorite then?

My vote goes to 2/26/77 show at Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, CA.

Set List:
1st Set - Terrapin Station, New Minglewood Blues, They Love Each Other, Estimated Prophet, Sugaree, Mama Tried, Deal, Playing In The Band>The Wheel>Playing Reprise
2nd Set - Samson and Delilah, Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped, Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower, The Promised Land, Eyes of The World>Jam>Dancing In The Streets>Around and Around
Encore - US Blues

A great quality soundboard kicks off with the first ever Terrapin Station, followed 3 songs later by the first ever Estimated Prophet. A hot Playin>Wheel>Playin closes a fun, tight first set. The second set includes a great Help>Slip>Franklin's and a scorching Jam between Eyes and Dancin led by Phil Lesh.

This is one of my favorite set lists of all time, including 4 of my favorites (Terrapin, Playin, Help>Slipknot>Franklins, Eyes). The fact that they are tight throughout, even with 2 new songs and this was the first show of the year, just reinforce the greatness of this show.

Any other '77 favorites? Love to hear your opinion.

2 Comments:

At 9:28 AM, Blogger Larry Person said...

I agree! I love 2/26/77! :-)

BTW, we're on the same page about our love for May 1977.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Grateful Kimba said...

2/26/77 was my first show. A friend had tried to force the Dead (studio records) down my throat the year before, but just sounded slow and boring.

I remained open-minded though and went to this show in 77 with another friend. First Dead show for both of us. We were up front. I took it all in at first - then IT HAPPENED! I'll never forget the moment. It was in the middle of Tennessee Jed and the place was rocking in a soulful groove and suddenly - I just GOT IT and I've had it ever since.

My friend enjoyed the show but I could tell that it didn't affect him the same way. Nearly 30 years later - I'm STILL in love with the sound. My buddy likes a few tunes but doesn't really "get" the Dead.

I had no idea at the time, of course, that this was a historic moment. This show is legendary among Deadheads and I'm pleased that I was there.

Last week I saw Ratdog for the first time and it was a real experience for me. I know many who fell away when Jerry passed, and though he was truly the soul of the band, I loved Bobby's stuff just a much. I was up close just watching an aged Bobby still rocking away and I thought back to 2/26 with nostalgia (I just turned 49).

I'll never forget this date. I celerate it along with birthdays and x-mas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home